Monday, March 28, 2016

Daredevil Season 1: Why it's the worst Marvel-Netflix show season to date.


Ok, I know that's not saying much, because there have only been three seasons worth of Marvel-Netflix goodness, and they have all been amazing. However, although I loved season 1, I didn't like it nearly as much as season 2, or the first season of Jessica Jones.

I feel like this is mainly because while season 2 of Daredevil and season 2 of Jessica Jones were more like a constant story that rose and fell, Daredevil season 1 kind of had a case of the week format, then eventually it crescendoed to a climax that was supposed to be epic, but I found underwhelming.

Season 1 of Daredevil was great, with amazing action choreography and a pretty good villain. However, I found all characters besides Matt to just be really annoying. They basically spent the whole season solving the same mystery as Matt, just at a much slower and more tedious pace. The main villain was cool, but his plot made absolutely no sense. I mean, I get that he wants to make Hell Kitchen a better place, but why exactly does he need to become a mob boss? If there is anyone out there who is smarter than me and actually knows what his deal is, please inform me in the comments. Anyways, I also felt that the show overall moved way too slowly and followed the style of shows like Arrow, which spends a good part of each season being a villain of the week show, which I despise, before eventually flowing into a fast paced plot that makes me lose track of what happened in which episode. Although, as I just said, I hate the villain of the week format, I get how they have to do it when it comes to network television, because viewers need to have a sense that they know what is going on. However, there is no need to do that in a Netflix show, which is dumped on the magical website season by season, perfect for binge-watching. I feel like in all of it's greatness, season 1 of Daredevil struggled with pacing and some aspects of the plot.

It was season 1 that set the bar high for Jessica Jones. Jessica Jones jumped over that bar with ease. I actually really liked that show. Despite lots of people I know who didn't give it a chance because they had never heard of her, I found that this story of a woman dealing with the demons of her past to be really compelling. I also feel like this show, like season 2 of Daredevil, ebbed and flowed, so there wasn't too much riding on the climax.

Overall, I think that the pilot season of the Marvel-Netflix Defender grand plan is just that, a pilot. Great, but paves the way for other, greater things.

1 comment: